Heating Equipment Seasonal Checkup
Having your heating equipment checked annually by a professional heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) contractor can keep your system running at peak efficiency and performance, extending the life of your equipment and saving money on your monthly bills. An easy way to stay in control of your heating bill is by having a heating system seasonal checkup.
Items covered by a seasonal checkup can vary based on the HVAC professional performing the service and the type of equipment used.
Seasonal checkups may include, but are not limited to:
- Making sure the blower bearings and blower motor are lubricated according to the manufacturer’s instructions
- Visually inspecting all vents, heat exchanger and motor
- Clearing the furnace area of any dust or combustible materials
- Testing the thermostat
- Cleaning dust out of the blower compartment
- Checking the flue to make sure it is clean and open
- Checking the pilot light, if your furnace has one
A few other tips to follow to keep your natural gas appliances in great running order:
- Be sure your appliances are professionally installed and serviced
- Be sure they are well ventilated. In particular, check the venting of your water heating system
- The gas flame in your appliances should burn a healthy bright blue or blue-orange, never a sluggish yellow
- If a pilot light goes out, turn off the appliance and allow any accumulated natural gas to vent before relighting, following the manufacturer’s instructions